St. John’s United Church of Christ began holding services in Lewisburg in 1824 in a log schoolhouse. In 1847, the First German Reformed Church was built at 3rd and St. John’s Streets. The building was replaced in 1902 and would be the place of worship until 1989. In order to meet the growing needs, a Planning Committee was organized in 1982 and in 1987 the congregation voted to build a fully accessible church. Groundbreaking for the new church took place on April 9, 1989, and one year later, Palm Sunday, the first service was held in the new sanctuary. The church was dedicated on April 22, 1990, in conjunction with a “Habitat for Humanity House” in Bolivia, which the congregation financially sponsored.
The United Church of Christ was formed by a merger of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Church in 1957. As these two were each the product of a former merger, the present denomination seeks to be true to the heritage of all four parent groups.